SOC209: Critique the statement: “A breadwinner-husband and house-wife are valued for their contributions equally in Singapore.” Gender Issues assignment
Module / Subject / School:
SOC209 Gender Issues
Singapore University of Social Sciences.
An article released recently by The Straits Times revealed that the contributions of a breadwinning-husband and house-wife are determined to be valued equally by Singapore’s highest court. The article makes this claim based on a landmark ruling in 2015 which it proceeds to detail.
Closely analyse the article and then critique the following statement:
“A breadwinner-husband and house-wife are valued for their contributions equally in Singapore.”
Use the article as your primary reference to inform your critique. For instance, you could examine the loopholes in and/or merits to, the court’s approach. You must also apply relevant concepts covered in Study Unit 1 (Chapters 1 and 2) to demonstrate the insights you are able to gain by connecting gender theory to a real-world scenario.
Write your response as one coherent essay
• The article was written by Tan Ooi Boon, titled: ‘Why a housewife’s contributions can be worth millions in Singapore’, published by The Straits Times on 3rd October, 2021.
• While you could take a stand, it is not expected. Rather, the value of a critique or critical essay lies in considering the many complexities of the given topic. You are encouraged to discuss the nuances of the given statement.
• While the article is your primary reference, you should supplement it with additional research. Keep your case study focused on Singapore – as you have a limited word count, there is no expectation for a substantial comparative analysis.
• You are strongly encouraged to use course material as your core reference for gender concepts and theory. In particular, you should focus on Chapters 1 and 2 of your Study Guide. You could also consider relevant material from Chapter 3, which explores gender in the workplace. Refrain from sites such as Wikipedia and CliffsNotes to define key gender ideas.
• Keep to a consistent citation style and cite all external references (including course material) both in-text and as an end reference list. Only in-text citations are included in your word count.
• You have a +/- 10% allowance on the given word limit, i.e., you should aim for an essay length between 900 and 1,100 words.
What we score:
Our Writer’s Comment
This assignment tests students on their knowledge on gender
concepts and theory.
The assignment prompt asks students to closely analyze an article from The Straits Times and critique the statement that “A breadwinner-husband and house-wife are valued for their contributions equally in Singapore.” Here are some comments on how to do well on the assignment:
- Article analysis: To score well in this assignment, it is crucial to thoroughly analyze the provided article from The Straits Times. Pay close attention to the details and arguments presented in the article to gain a comprehensive understanding of the topic.
- Critique the statement: Your main task is to critique the statement: “A breadwinner-husband and house-wife are valued for their contributions equally in Singapore.” While you have the option to take a stand, it is not expected. Instead, focus on examining the complexities and nuances of the topic. Consider exploring the loopholes or merits of the court’s approach as detailed in the article.
- Application of relevant concepts: To demonstrate your understanding and insights into gender theory in a real-world scenario, connect the concepts covered in Study Unit 1 (Chapters 1 and 2) to the given topic. Use these concepts to analyze the statement and provide a thoughtful critique. Refrain from using sites like Wikipedia or CliffsNotes to define key gender ideas; instead, rely on the course material provided.
- Supplement with additional research: While the article is your primary reference, it is recommended to supplement it with additional research. Focus your research on Singapore to maintain a focused case study within the given word count. This demonstrates your ability to engage in independent research and further support your arguments.
- Citation and referencing: Ensure that you maintain a consistent citation style throughout your essay and properly cite all external references, including course materials. Both in-text citations and an end reference list are required. Pay attention to the proper formatting and accurately cite your sources. Remember that only in-text citations count towards the word count.
- Word count: Aim to write an essay between 900 and 1,100 words, considering the allowed +/- 10% word count allowance. Stay within this range to effectively address the topic while ensuring that your arguments and analysis are concise and focused.
By following these guidelines, students can effectively analyze the article, critique the statement, apply relevant concepts, and present their arguments in a coherent and well-structured essay.
Why are we trusted by Singaporean part-time students?
- Assurance of Academic Success: We are confident in the quality of our work so much so that we offer a 200% money-back guarantee if our work is not of sure-pass quality. This showcases our unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional essays that consistently meet the highest academic standards.
- Well-Established and Trusted: With a decade of experience in the industry, we have built a strong and reputable presence. Our long-standing track record speaks to our ability to consistently deliver outstanding results. Students can have confidence in our extensive expertise and our proven ability to help bachelor and master’s students excel in their academic pursuits.
- Valuable Testimonials: We are proud to have received numerous testimonials from hundreds of satisfied students who have benefited from our services. These testimonials serve as a testament to the trust and satisfaction students place in our essay writing service. The positive feedback highlights the quality of our work and the positive impact we have had on our clients’ academic journeys.
- High Ratings on Google: Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the positive ratings we consistently receive from students. With an impressive 4.6 rating on Google, students can rely on the feedback shared by others who have had successful experiences with our service. These positive reviews further reinforce the trust students can place in the quality of our work and the positive outcomes we deliver.
- Strict Confidentiality: We prioritize the confidentiality and privacy of our clients. Students can trust that their personal information and engagement with our service will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and security. We never disclose any client details to third parties.
While we have scored well for this assignment, we do not provide any sample assignment for this. If you’d like us to work on this, you can try our model assignment writing service.