PSY205: Apply psychological theories of persuasion to examine Liu’s current strategies as well as propose components of an effective awareness campaign to increase residents’ buy-in on sorting out their trash. Social Psychology assignment
Module / Subject / School:
PSY205 Social Psychology
Singapore University of Social Sciences
Question 1 (80 marks)
“As the director of a neighbourhood residential committee in Shanghai’s Pudong District, Liu Jidong has spent the past four months immersing himself in his community’s waste-disposal habits. ‘When it comes to sorting trash, 20- to 35-year-olds are the least cooperative, and they don’t do a good job, either,’ he says. ‘The older they are, the better they do.’
The Shanghai Municipal People’s Congress passed a new law mandating households to sort their waste into one of four categories ‘wet,’ ‘dry,’ hazardous, and recyclable. Liu’s had to explain the new process to 1,339 households and persuade them to take part — all with only limited material and financial support from his higher-ups.
But Liu arguably faces an even bigger challenge than a lack of funds: a lack of enthusiasm. How can he convince the same disaffected young Chinese currently dumping on the trash- sorting regulations online to get on board in real life?”
Source: Ding, Y. (2019, July 1). The trash rules separating generations as well as waste. Sixth Tone. https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1004216/the-trash-rules-separating-generations-as-well-as-waste
Apply psychological theories of persuasion to examine Liu’s current strategies as well as propose components of an effective awareness campaign to increase residents’ buy-in on sorting out their trash.
In order to demonstrate in-depth understanding of the relevant concepts/theories with respect to this question, you should first read the relevant sections in the textbook and course materials on this topic before you attempt your TMA. You will find Chapter 7 “Persuasion” useful as a starting point.
- As Singapore does not have a regulated waste-disposal policy, you will find it necessary to read Ding (2019) to understand the context as well as the strategies already utilised by Liu in his endeavour.
- The information in the textbook is limited, especially pertaining to this specific topic, and you will find it necessary to perform further literature research in order to add depth to your answer.
- References to additional relevant research studies and examples will attract more marks. There is an abundance of credible resources that you can access from the library and databases. Always cite credible sources of information. Blog entries, online student papers or theses, and websites like Wikipedia and Verywell Mind do not count as adequate reference items.
- You must cite theoretical and empirical evidence to support your arguments, with a minimum of 5 references listed accurately in APA format that are based on your additional research. That is, you shall cite at least FIVE journal articles or published book chapters (excluding the textbook and study guide).
- Upon having done this research to supplement your discussion, remember to use your own words in your essay to demonstrate understanding of the subject matter and to avoid plagiarism
What we score:
Our Writer’s Comment
This assignment tests students on their understanding of psychological theories of persuasion.
Based on the assignment requirements provided, here are some comments to help students score well on this assignment:
To score well on this question, you should start by thoroughly understanding the psychological theories of persuasion discussed in Chapter 7 of the textbook and other course materials. These theories will serve as the foundation for your analysis of Liu’s current strategies and your proposal for an effective awareness campaign.
Before attempting the assignment, read Ding’s article (2019) to gain insights into the specific context of Shanghai’s waste disposal policy and the strategies Liu has already employed. This will help you understand the challenges he faces and the current state of residents’ attitudes toward waste sorting.
Since Singapore does not have a similar waste-disposal policy, it’s crucial to conduct additional literature research to support your analysis. Look for relevant research studies and examples from credible sources to add depth to your answer. Ensure that you use at least five journal articles or published book chapters (excluding the textbook and study guide) to back up your arguments.
In your essay, provide a clear analysis of Liu’s current strategies and their effectiveness based on the psychological theories of persuasion. Identify areas where improvement is needed and propose components for an effective awareness campaign to increase residents’ buy-in on sorting out their trash. Use theoretical and empirical evidence to support your proposals.
When citing sources, make sure to use accurate APA format and avoid relying on blog entries, online student papers, theses, Wikipedia, or non-academic websites like Verywell Mind. Instead, prioritize credible research from the library and databases.
As you develop your arguments, remember to use your own words to demonstrate a deep understanding of the subject matter and to avoid plagiarism. This will show that you have engaged critically with the material and have synthesized it in a meaningful way.
In conclusion, a well-structured and well-researched essay that applies psychological theories of persuasion, provides relevant examples, and proposes evidence-based strategies for an awareness campaign will significantly enhance your chances of scoring high marks on this assignment.
Why are we trusted by Singaporean part-time students?
- Assurance of Academic Success: We are confident in the quality of our work so much so that we offer a 200% money-back guarantee if our work is not of sure-pass quality. This showcases our unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional essays that consistently meet the highest academic standards.
- Well-Established and Trusted: With a decade of experience in the industry, we have built a strong and reputable presence. Our long-standing track record speaks to our ability to consistently deliver outstanding results. Students can have confidence in our extensive expertise and our proven ability to help bachelor and master’s students excel in their academic pursuits.
- Valuable Testimonials: We are proud to have received numerous testimonials from hundreds of satisfied students who have benefited from our services. These testimonials serve as a testament to the trust and satisfaction students place in our essay writing service. The positive feedback highlights the quality of our work and the positive impact we have had on our clients’ academic journeys.
- High Ratings on Google: Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the positive ratings we consistently receive from students. With an impressive 4.6 rating on Google, students can rely on the feedback shared by others who have had successful experiences with our service. These positive reviews further reinforce the trust students can place in the quality of our work and the positive outcomes we deliver.
- Strict Confidentiality: We prioritize the confidentiality and privacy of our clients. Students can trust that their personal information and engagement with our service will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and security. We never disclose any client details to third parties.
While we have scored well for this assignment, we do not provide any sample assignment for this. If you’d like us to work on this, you can try our model assignment writing service.