NSG3EPN: reflect upon your own clinical experience to date and to search for evidence from the literature to address questions regarding contemporary professional practice. Engagement in Professional Nursing assignment
Module / Subject / School:
NSG3EPN Engagement in Professional Nursing
La Trobe University
This assignment is divided into three parts:
1. Reflect on how organisational structure and culture can affect the safety of person-centred care delivery. (SILO 3)
2. Reflect on the skills related to health information systems. (SILO5)
3. Develop awareness of the transition from students to registered nurses through critical selfreflection. (SILO 6)
You will be required to reflect upon your own clinical experience to date and to search for evidence from the literature to address questions regarding contemporary professional practice. This reflection follows the underlying principles of Gibbs’ reflective cycle (1988) on description, analysis and action. You do not need to explain or follow the specific questions of Gibb’s cycle in your work.
As this is reflective writing, it is appropriate to use a first-person writing style. However, you should support your opinion and arguments with current (unless it is seminal work) and peer-reviewed evidence from the literature, especially in the analysis section. Please submit your completed assessments through the Turnitin portal in Word format.
No introduction or conclusion is needed for this report.
SILO 3 Organizational structure and culture (650 word)
Rationale: As a graduate nurse, you may not always feel comfortable speaking up when there is a safety concern. It is important to reflect on systemic and personal factors that promote safety culture.
- Describe a time in your clinical placement as a student nurse where there was a safety concern. How was this dealt with? Were you or other nurses able to speak up forsafety? [150 words]
- Analyse what kind of organisational culture makes it possible for you to speak up? [200 words] Introduce any system exist in a workplace that makes it possible for you to speak up. [100 words] E.g. Melbourne Health’s Safety Culture Program, Mildura Based Hospital’s ‘Speaking up for safety’ (can be found in assessment resources folder).
- What role you have as a graduate nurse in speaking up to promote a safety culture? (action) [200 words]
SILO 5 Health Informatics (650 words)
Rationale: The integration of informatics skills into nursing practice is fundamental for nurses at all levels and specialty in the contemporary health care system. It is important for graduate nurses to be a skilled, capable and ethical user of technology, in order to deliver safe and effective care.
- Describe your experience of using or observing the use of health information system in your clinical placement (e.g. patient browser, patient flow system, Electronic Medical Record [EMR] or other clinical documentation or storage system). [100 words]
- Analyse one enabler or barrier from your clinical experience that influences the effective use of health informatics systems in the nursing environment. Use literature to support your discussion. [350 words]
- What role you have as a graduate nurse in the ethical use of health information systems? (action) [200 words]
SILO 6 Transition to practice (700 words)
Rationale: Working as a nurse comes with various challenges. Challenges can come from internal and external elements. While challenges are not necessarily negative, it is important for you to develop professional resilience to be able to have a sustainable and fulfilling nursing career.
- Analyse one or two challenges reported in literature that graduate nurses face in their transition into the professional workplace. [300 words]
- Identify two self-care strategies that you will employ to maintain your mental and physical well-being in your new role as a registered nurse. (action) [400 words]
What we score:
Our Writer’s Comment
This assignment tests students on their understanding of the organisational structures.
Based on the assignment requirements provided, here are some comments to help students score well on this assignment:
SILO 3 – Organizational Structure and Culture (650 words):
- Description: Provide a concise and clear account of a safety concern you encountered during your clinical placement. Explain how it was handled and whether nurses were comfortable speaking up. Be specific and reflective in your response.
- Analysis: Delve deeper into the organizational culture that allowed or discouraged speaking up. Use relevant literature to support your analysis. Highlight the factors that contribute to a positive safety culture and encourage open communication.
- Introduction of Systems: Introduce any existing systems in the workplace that promote speaking up for safety. Provide specific examples of programs or initiatives from reputable sources to demonstrate your understanding.
- Role as a Graduate Nurse: Clearly state your role and responsibility as a graduate nurse in promoting a safety culture. Discuss the actions you would take to ensure patient safety and advocate for better practices.
SILO 5 – Health Informatics (650 words):
- Experience Description: Briefly describe your experience with health information systems during your clinical placement. Specify the types of systems you encountered and their impact on nursing practice.
- Analysis: Choose one enabler or barrier related to health informatics from your experience. Support your analysis with relevant literature. Discuss how this factor influenced the effective use of health informatics in the nursing environment.
- Role as a Graduate Nurse: Explain your role in ensuring ethical use of health information systems. Discuss the importance of maintaining patient privacy, data security, and appropriate use of technology.
SILO 6 – Transition to Practice (700 words):
- Challenges Analysis: Analyze one or two challenges commonly faced by graduate nurses during their transition to the professional workplace. Use literature to support your analysis. Reflect on how these challenges may impact your own transition.
- Self-Care Strategies: Identify two self-care strategies that you will implement to maintain your mental and physical well-being as a registered nurse. Ensure these strategies are practical, relevant, and supported by evidence-based practices.
Overall Writing Style:
- Reflective Approach: Utilize a reflective writing style, using the first person when sharing personal experiences and insights. Engage the reader by conveying your thoughts, emotions, and lessons learned during your clinical placement.
- Evidence and Literature: Support your arguments with current and peer-reviewed evidence from reputable sources. Use literature to reinforce your analysis and suggestions.
- Word Limit Adherence: Stay within the specified word limit for each section to avoid penalties. Be concise and focused in your responses.
- Clarity and Coherence: Ensure your writing is clear, logical, and well-organized. Use headings and subheadings to structure your responses effectively.
- Ethical Use of Sources: Acknowledge all sources properly using the Harvard referencing system. Avoid plagiarism by crediting the work of others.
By addressing each part of the assignment with depth, critical analysis, and evidence-based support, you can excel in this reflective task. Remember to be genuine and reflective in your writing, providing actionable insights and suggestions for your role as a graduate nurse.
Why are we trusted by Singaporean part-time students?
- Assurance of Academic Success: We are confident in the quality of our work so much so that we offer a 200% money-back guarantee if our work is not of sure-pass quality. This showcases our unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional essays that consistently meet the highest academic standards.
- Well-Established and Trusted: With a decade of experience in the industry, we have built a strong and reputable presence. Our long-standing track record speaks to our ability to consistently deliver outstanding results. Students can have confidence in our extensive expertise and our proven ability to help bachelor and master’s students excel in their academic pursuits.
- Valuable Testimonials: We are proud to have received numerous testimonials from hundreds of satisfied students who have benefited from our services. These testimonials serve as a testament to the trust and satisfaction students place in our essay writing service. The positive feedback highlights the quality of our work and the positive impact we have had on our clients’ academic journeys.
- High Ratings on Google: Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the positive ratings we consistently receive from students. With an impressive 4.6 rating on Google, students can rely on the feedback shared by others who have had successful experiences with our service. These positive reviews further reinforce the trust students can place in the quality of our work and the positive outcomes we deliver.
- Strict Confidentiality: We prioritize the confidentiality and privacy of our clients. Students can trust that their personal information and engagement with our service will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and security. We never disclose any client details to third parties.
While we have scored well for this assignment, we do not provide any sample assignment for this. If you’d like us to work on this, you can try our model assignment writing service.