HBC101: Describe the role of a common culture in unifying people in a society and explain the key principles of Singapore’s multi-cultural approach towards nationbuilding. Understanding Contemporary Society: The Social and Behavioural Sciences assignment
Module / Subject / School:
HBC101 Understanding Contemporary Society: The Social and Behavioural Sciences
Singapore University of Social Sciences
Following the successful inscription in 2020 of Singapore’s hawker culture in the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage, the country is embarking on another process to identify and submit a second nomination for consideration by UNESCO. Speaking in Parliament in March 2022, Minister of State for Culture, Community and Youth Low Yen Ling noted that Singapore’s “rich heritage is also a source of national pride.” She added that, based on earlier discussions on the second nomination, there was a clear preference for it to be “multicultural
in nature, and relatable to Singaporeans.”
Low, Yen Ling (2022, March 10). “A Vibrant and Resilient Arts and Culture Ecosystem for the Future”. Retrieved from: https://www.mccy.gov.sg/about-us/news-andresources/speeches/2022/mar/A-vibrant-and-resilient-arts-and- ulture-ecosystem
Ng, Keng Gene (2022, March 10). “Budget debate: Chingay parade, Thaipusam festival among possible nominations for Unesco’s heritage list”. Retrieved from: https://str.sg/weGR
In your assigned groups of 2-3 members, examine the related issues of cultural and heritage, and consider the following:
- Describe the role of a common culture in unifying people in a society.
- Explain the key principles of Singapore’s multi-cultural approach towards nationbuilding
- Outline, with reasons, a NEW item of intangible cultural heritage in Singapore that can be submitted to UNESCO for inscription onto the Representative List.
As part of your GBA, your group is required to work on a presentation assignment, which comprises a PowerPoint presentation that summarises the contents of the written GBA submission. Each member of the group will participate and be featured in one segment of the presentation. As a group, you will need to reach a consensus on which part of the overall presentation each member is responsible for. The entire presentation delivery is to be no longer than 10 minutes. Please adhere strictly to the time limit.
Student’s Notes for Essay
- This assignment requires you to work jointly in a group to draft an essay with the objective of recommending a new nomination by Singapore onto the UNESCO Representative List for Intangible Cultural Heritage. Individual submissions will not be accepted or entertained.
- Group members should work out an internal agreement or consensus on a broadly equitable distribution of work. Do note that for the GBA, a common grade will be awarded to all group members.
- Although the GBA submission is to be presented as a continuous response, groups should ensure that the submission covers all the main components of the assignment.
- Across the GBA response, groups should employ relevant social and behavioural science concepts and perspectives, as well as present them in an applied manner that addresses actual developments in Singapore.
- Groups should provide examples to illustrate, or substantive points being made, with proper references and citations to be provided.
- Using a citation description from an original author or from someone else, without putting it in quotation marks, or without adequate re-writing, will be considered plagiarism.
Student’s Notes for Presentation
- The deck of slides should not exceed TEN (10) slides and does not include the title slide and slides for references and endnotes. Please note that only the written content in the slide section of the deck will be graded. Any written content in the presenter notes section will not be graded as part of the written component. The finished deck of PowerPoint slides is to be uploaded in the assigned link provided in Canvas.
- The deck of slides covering the planned presentation should focus on concisely summarising the arguments in written form, and less on fancy visual or graphical representation, unless they are critical to the overall presentation.
- Marks will be deducted if the slides exceed the maximum limit of ten (10) slides.
- Groups may include videos, in addition to any visual or graphics, as part of the overall slide deck. However, groups would need to ensure that the videos are directly useful and pertinent to the content being presented.
- In the slide deck and presentation, groups are strongly encouraged to provide relevant examples to illustrate or substantiate the arguments or points being made.
- Groups should be prepared to address comments and questions from both instructors and peers.
What we score:
Our Writer’s Comment
This assignment tests students on their understanding of culture and heritage issues.
To score well on this assignment, follow these guidelines:
- Work effectively in a group:
- Collaborate with your group members to draft the essay and presentation.
- Reach a consensus on the distribution of work to ensure fairness.
- Note that a common grade will be awarded to all group members for the GBA.
- Describe the role of a common culture in unifying people in a society.
- Explain the key principles of Singapore’s multi-cultural approach towards nation-building.
- Outline a new item of intangible cultural heritage in Singapore that can be submitted to UNESCO.
- Apply relevant concepts and perspectives from the social and behavioral sciences.
- Support your arguments with examples and proper references.
- Create a PowerPoint presentation summarizing the contents of the written GBA submission.
- Each group member should be responsible for one segment of the presentation.
- Adhere strictly to the time limit of 10 minutes.
- Limit the slide deck to a maximum of ten slides, excluding the title and reference slides.
- Focus on concise written content rather than excessive visual or graphical elements.
- Include videos or visuals only if they directly support the content being presented.
- Provide relevant examples and address comments and questions from instructors and peers.
Remember to avoid plagiarism by properly citing and referencing all sources used. Use your own words to express ideas and concepts, and rephrase citation descriptions if necessary.
Ensure that your essay and presentation cover all the main components of the assignment and demonstrate an understanding of cultural and heritage issues within the context of Singapore’s UNESCO nominations.
By following these guidelines and demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of the topic, you can score well on this assignment.
Why are we trusted by Singaporean part-time students?
- Assurance of Academic Success: We are confident in the quality of our work so much so that we offer a 200% money-back guarantee if our work is not of sure-pass quality. This showcases our unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional essays that consistently meet the highest academic standards.
- Well-Established and Trusted: With a decade of experience in the industry, we have built a strong and reputable presence. Our long-standing track record speaks to our ability to consistently deliver outstanding results. Students can have confidence in our extensive expertise and our proven ability to help bachelor and master’s students excel in their academic pursuits.
- Valuable Testimonials: We are proud to have received numerous testimonials from hundreds of satisfied students who have benefited from our services. These testimonials serve as a testament to the trust and satisfaction students place in our essay writing service. The positive feedback highlights the quality of our work and the positive impact we have had on our clients’ academic journeys.
- High Ratings on Google: Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the positive ratings we consistently receive from students. With an impressive 4.6 rating on Google, students can rely on the feedback shared by others who have had successful experiences with our service. These positive reviews further reinforce the trust students can place in the quality of our work and the positive outcomes we deliver.
- Strict Confidentiality: We prioritize the confidentiality and privacy of our clients. Students can trust that their personal information and engagement with our service will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and security. We never disclose any client details to third parties.
While we have scored well for this assignment, we do not provide any sample assignment for this. If you’d like us to work on this, you can try our model assignment writing service.