COM355e: Write a 300-word online news story for The Straits Times about leading a less stressful life in Singapore. Please include an attention-grabbing headline for this story. Multimedia Public Affairs Reporting assignment
Module / Subject / School:
COM355e Multimedia Public Affairs Reporting
Singapore University of Social Sciences
Answer the following questions. (100 marks)
A survey conducted by computer software firm Oracle last year revealed that 7 in 10 Singaporeans found 2021 to be the most stressful year of their lives.
For more information on the survey: https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/7-10- singaporeans-found-2021-be-most-stressful-year-ever-survey
Part A (30 marks)
Write a 300-word online news story for The Straits Times about leading a less stressful life in Singapore. Please include an attention-grabbing headline for this story.
Ensure that you have a focused story angle (based on your research and what you perceive to be newsworthy) and do include relevant information, interviewee quotes and statistics in your news story.
The story should feature at least ONE interviewee. He/she should be quoted in the story. Do also include an image of the signed consent form from your interviewee within the assignment document you submit.
Part B (70 marks)
Create a photo essay using 8 – 10 photographs to accompany your online news report. The interviewee you have featured in Part A should be featured in this photo essay. The photo essay complements the 300-word online news story and should not be too repetitive of it.
Do also take note that:
- All the images should be original and taken by you.
- Each image should be captioned and each caption should be around 30 words. The images and captions should collectively, as much as possible, address the 5Ws and 1H (who, what, when, where and how) of the photo essay.
- Give your photo essay an attention-grabbing headline as well. It should be different from the headline of your online news story.
- Plan the arrangement and composition of your images to tell an engaging visual story.
Answer the following questions. (100 marks)
In February 2019, Norwegian newspaper VG published an in-depth multimedia news report titled “The Tinder Swindler” about a man named Simon Leviev who swindled numerous women on the dating app, Tinder.
View this multimedia story here: https://www.vg.no/spesial/2019/tindersvindleren/english/
(Note: the story has since been adapted as a Netflix documentary. However, for this assignment, do focus on this original multimedia news report for your analysis.)
Analyse this multimedia story and:
a) Critique how the various multimedia features (e.g. photographs, videos, audio etc.) work together to tell a compelling story about the Tinder Swindler.
b) Discuss how you think the reporter and/or photographers would have obtained the information and footage relevant for this story. Do also bring possible ethical issues which may arise from gathering such multimedia footage and how they should be addressed.
c) Formulate the best practices for creating engaging multimedia news stories based on what you felt was effective from this multimedia news story.
Do refer to specific examples/references from the “The Tinder Swindler” story to elaborate upon your points in detail. This requires a careful and repeated reading of this story. Research on the big picture issue re: the risks of online dating is also encouraged so that you will better understand the context of this multimedia piece.
The word count for your essay is 800 words. In-text citations and end-text referencing in APA citation style are also required.
What we score:
Our Writer’s Comment
This assignment tests students on their understanding of the frameworks.
Based on the assignment requirements provided, here are some comments to help students score well on this assignment:
Part A (30 marks):
- Attention-grabbing headline: Craft a headline that immediately captures the essence of leading a less stressful life in Singapore. Make it engaging and intriguing to entice readers to delve into the story.
- Focused story angle: Conduct thorough research to identify a newsworthy angle related to stress in Singapore. Ensure that your story revolves around this angle and provides valuable insights.
- Relevant information and statistics: Include relevant data and statistics from reputable sources to back up your claims and add credibility to the story.
- Quotes from interviewee: Incorporate at least one interviewee in the story and provide their quotes to add a human touch and personal perspective on the topic.
- Image with signed consent form: Include an image of the interviewee along with a signed consent form within the assignment document.
Part B (70 marks):
- Original images: Capture original and high-quality images that are relevant to the story’s theme. Avoid repetition with the text and ensure the images enhance the overall visual storytelling.
- Captions addressing 5Ws and 1H: Write concise and informative captions for each image, covering the who, what, when, where, and how aspects of the photo essay.
- Engaging visual story: Plan the arrangement and composition of images to create a narrative flow and engage readers in the visual storytelling.
- Attention-grabbing headline: Give the photo essay a unique headline that complements the online news story’s headline while reflecting the photo essay’s focus.
To score well in TMA02, follow these guidelines:
- Critique multimedia features: Analyze how the various multimedia elements, such as photographs, videos, and audio, work together to create a compelling and immersive narrative about the Tinder Swindler. Point out specific examples that showcase their effectiveness.
- Source of information and footage: Discuss how the reporter and photographers might have gathered the information and multimedia footage for the story. Address possible ethical issues that may arise during the process and suggest appropriate ways to handle them.
- Best practices for engaging multimedia stories: Formulate best practices for creating multimedia news stories based on effective elements from “The Tinder Swindler” story. Provide detailed explanations and incorporate specific references from the original multimedia report.
- Word count and referencing: Keep the essay within the specified word count (800 words) and use APA citation style for in-text citations and end-text referencing.
- Big picture issue: Research and understand the risks of online dating to contextualize “The Tinder Swindler” story and offer a comprehensive analysis. Use this context to support your critique and recommendations.
In both assignments, ensure proper grammar, clarity of expression, and a logical flow of ideas. Refer to credible sources and maintain a professional writing style throughout.
Why are we trusted by Singaporean part-time students?
- Assurance of Academic Success: We are confident in the quality of our work so much so that we offer a 200% money-back guarantee if our work is not of sure-pass quality. This showcases our unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional essays that consistently meet the highest academic standards.
- Well-Established and Trusted: With a decade of experience in the industry, we have built a strong and reputable presence. Our long-standing track record speaks to our ability to consistently deliver outstanding results. Students can have confidence in our extensive expertise and our proven ability to help bachelor and master’s students excel in their academic pursuits.
- Valuable Testimonials: We are proud to have received numerous testimonials from hundreds of satisfied students who have benefited from our services. These testimonials serve as a testament to the trust and satisfaction students place in our essay writing service. The positive feedback highlights the quality of our work and the positive impact we have had on our clients’ academic journeys.
- High Ratings on Google: Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the positive ratings we consistently receive from students. With an impressive 4.6 rating on Google, students can rely on the feedback shared by others who have had successful experiences with our service. These positive reviews further reinforce the trust students can place in the quality of our work and the positive outcomes we deliver.
- Strict Confidentiality: We prioritize the confidentiality and privacy of our clients. Students can trust that their personal information and engagement with our service will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and security. We never disclose any client details to third parties.
While we have scored well for this assignment, we do not provide any sample assignment for this. If you’d like us to work on this, you can try our model assignment writing service.