BUS366: Choose an organization and submit a report on how you would identify the process issues, analyse the problems, recommend and implement ideas to improve the process, and establish control plans to sustain the improvement using the Lean Six Sigma DMAIC approach. Lean Six Sigma assignment
Module / Subject / School:
BUS366 Lean Six Sigma
Singapore University of Social Sciences
Section A (65 marks)
Answer all questions in this section.
Background and Overview of Report
The COVID-19 outbreak in 2020 has brought substantial impact and changes to the economy and society. Organisations have to adjust or completely redesign their business processes to cope with the impact and changes brought by the pandemic. Lean Six Sigma has been recognised as a useful approach to improving business processes by identifying the process gaps and implementing effective improvement measures.
You are asked to identify a business process in the organisation where you are currently working or worked before or are familiar with. You may discuss with your supervisor or experienced colleagues to select this process which is facing challenges to meeting customers’ expectations or internal performance targets. You are going to lead a Lean Six Sigma project team to improve this process. Submit a report on how you would identify the process issues, analyse the problems, recommend and implement ideas to improve the process, and establish control plans to sustain the improvement using the Lean Six Sigma DMAIC approach. We shall thereafter call your selected organisation the “subject organisation” and the selected process the “subject business process”.
This ECA focuses on the process-centric approach and qualitative analysis of the DMAIC model. Collecting extensive data and performing data analysis are not required.
You have to produce a report of not more than 10 pages (excluding the cover page and content page) in Microsoft Word (*.docx) format, with Times New Roman font in size 12, single line spacing. You must address the following questions in order. Your analysis and report should be developed in the context of the subject organisation and its current situation. You are asked to clearly list the question numbers and indicate the word count of the answers to the respective questions in the report.
Question 1 – Organisation Background
(a) Introduce the subject organisation, including its name (use a pseudonym if it is sensitive to provide the real name), its major businesses and customers, its products/services. Provide the website or real address of the organisation. (Word limit: 150)
(b) Discuss how the organisation’s businesses have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including its financial and operational performance, and its value/supply chain, e.g., customers, suppliers, and/or the processes in the production or the service delivery, etc. (Word
(c) Appraise the suitability of Lean Six Sigma in improving the business process in the subject organisation during the COVID-19 pandemic. You must relate the discussion to the business process of the subject organisation. (Word limit: 200)
(d) Describe the role/function of the subject business process, and the issues or challenges the subject organisation has been facing during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Word limit: 100)
Question 2 – Define and Measure
(a) Compose the SIPOC diagram of the subject business process and list the steps or changes if any in the process due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. (7 marks)
(b) Explain the problem statement about the issue(s) in the subject business process. Examine the impact of the issue(s) on the organisation’s businesses. (You may refer to the problem statement template in Gitlow et al., 2015, p. 247.) (5 marks)
(c) Define the CTQ and its operational definition by analysing the VOC and the issues in the subject business process. Compare the current CTQ performance of the subject business process with its performance before the COVID-19 pandemic. Propose the project objective. (8 marks)
Question 3 – Analyse, Improve, and Control
(a) Develop the “As-Is” Process Map for the subject business process which should reflect the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the process. (5 marks)
(b) You need to organise a brainstorming session to discuss the possible causes of the issues in the process. Describe or show a photo of the brainstorming session. Show the Fishbone/Cause and Effect diagram of the potential causes. (5 marks)
(c) Conduct a Gemba walk and describe or show photos of at least two (2) wastes and the likely root causes of each of the wastes in the subject business process. Discuss the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the observed wastes and the likely root causes. Update the Fishbone diagram in Question 3(b) on the likely root causes. (7 marks)
(d) Recommend and describe two (2) countermeasures/improvement ideas to improve the process. Indicate whether the countermeasure is to address the root causes or remove/eliminate the wastes identified from the Gemba walk in Question 3(c). (Word limit: 200) (4 marks)
(e) Propose two (2) measures to standardise the improved process in Question 3(d). Examine the effectiveness of the measures. (Word limit: 200) (4 marks)
(f) Develop a control plan for the improved process. You can make assumptions for the metric specification/requirement and any other quantitative figures in the control plan. (5 marks)
Section B (25 marks)
Answer all questions in this section.
Your Lean Six Sigma project has successfully completed the DMAIC Control Phase Tollgate 5 review meeting. The project sponsor was very pleased with the results and was impressed with the DMAIC approach taken. He has now asked you to prepare a presentation to update the CEO on the Lean Six Sigma project. Arrange your presentation in a manner suited to the CEO.
Prepare a video recording of the presentation of at least 3 minutes but not exceeding 6 minutes. There are two methods for ECA video assignment submission; either Record Media or Upload Media. For Upload Media, please note that your file size should be no more than 500MB and the format is in .mp4. (25 marks)
Section C (10 marks)
Answer all questions in this section.
Prepare a set of PowerPoint presentation slides upon which the video presentation is based. Please note that the PowerPoint must not be more than 15 slides and be converted to PDF before submission to SUSS (Canvas). (10 marks)
What we score:
Our Writer’s Comment
This assignment tests students on their understanding of the Lean Six Sigma concepts.
Based on the assignment requirements provided, here are some comments to help students score well on this assignment:
- Section A:
- Report Structure: Follow the provided guidelines for the report’s format, including page limit, font size, line spacing, and word count requirements. Organize your report by addressing each question in the given order. Clearly indicate the question numbers and word count for each answer in the report.
- Thorough Research and Analysis: Conduct thorough research to gather information about the subject organization. Provide an introduction to the organization, including its major businesses, customers, and products/services. Discuss the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the organization’s financial and operational performance, as well as its value/supply chain. Relate these impacts to the subject business process. Appraise the suitability of Lean Six Sigma in improving the business process, taking into account the challenges faced during the pandemic.
- Define and Measure: Create the SIPOC diagram for the subject business process and identify any changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Clearly explain the problem statement related to the issues in the business process and analyze their impact on the organization’s businesses. Define the Critical-to-Quality (CTQ) parameter and its operational definition by analyzing the Voice of the Customer (VOC) and the issues. Compare the CTQ performance before and after the pandemic and propose the project objective.
- Analyze, Improve, and Control: Develop the “As-Is” process map, considering the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Organize a brainstorming session to discuss potential causes of the issues and create a Fishbone/Cause and Effect diagram. Conduct a Gemba walk to identify wastes and their root causes, considering the pandemic’s impact. Recommend two improvement ideas, specifying whether they address root causes or eliminate wastes. Propose measures to standardize the improved process and develop a control plan.
- CEO Presentation: Prepare a video presentation to update the CEO on the Lean Six Sigma project. Structure your presentation in a manner that suits the CEO’s perspective. Keep the presentation between 3 to 6 minutes in length. Pay attention to clarity, coherence, and engaging delivery in your video recording.
- PowerPoint Slides: Create a concise set of PowerPoint slides that serve as the foundation for your video presentation. Ensure that the PowerPoint is limited to a maximum of 15 slides. Convert the PowerPoint to PDF before submission.
- Clear and Concise Communication: Clearly address each question with focused and concise responses. Use appropriate terminology and avoid unnecessary jargon. Ensure that your analysis and recommendations are well-supported and logically presented.
- Application of Lean Six Sigma Concepts: Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of Lean Six Sigma principles, tools, and methodologies throughout your report. Apply them effectively to identify process issues, analyze problems, recommend improvements, and establish control plans.
- Professional Writing and Presentation Skills: Use academic prose style, maintaining proper grammar, sentence structure, and paragraph organization. Ensure that your video presentation is well-prepared, visually appealing, and effectively communicates key points.
- Attention to Guidelines: Follow the provided guidelines carefully, including word limits, page limits, file formats, and submission instructions.
Why are we trusted by Singaporean part-time students?
- Assurance of Academic Success: We are confident in the quality of our work so much so that we offer a 200% money-back guarantee if our work is not of sure-pass quality. This showcases our unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional essays that consistently meet the highest academic standards.
- Well-Established and Trusted: With a decade of experience in the industry, we have built a strong and reputable presence. Our long-standing track record speaks to our ability to consistently deliver outstanding results. Students can have confidence in our extensive expertise and our proven ability to help bachelor and master’s students excel in their academic pursuits.
- Valuable Testimonials: We are proud to have received numerous testimonials from hundreds of satisfied students who have benefited from our services. These testimonials serve as a testament to the trust and satisfaction students place in our essay writing service. The positive feedback highlights the quality of our work and the positive impact we have had on our clients’ academic journeys.
- High Ratings on Google: Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the positive ratings we consistently receive from students. With an impressive 4.6 rating on Google, students can rely on the feedback shared by others who have had successful experiences with our service. These positive reviews further reinforce the trust students can place in the quality of our work and the positive outcomes we deliver.
- Strict Confidentiality: We prioritize the confidentiality and privacy of our clients. Students can trust that their personal information and engagement with our service will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and security. We never disclose any client details to third parties.
While we have scored well for this assignment, we do not provide any sample assignment for this. If you’d like us to work on this, you can try our model assignment writing service.