BRD205: You will compare and contrast two theories and their explanations of offending decision-making and deterrence effectiveness (through threat of punishment)
Module / Subject / School:
BRD205: Crime Through the Ages
The perspectives you are going to look at are – Rational Choice Theory (Psychology) and General Strain Theory (Sociology). You will compare and contrast these two theories and their explanations of offending decision-making and deterrence effectiveness (through threat of punishment).
Your essay must rely on a minimum of fifteen (15) peer reviewed journal articles.
To do this, you will:
- Address the concepts of deterrence and rationality
- Introduce the assumptions of deterrence. Explain the logic (and/or downfalls) of deterring crime through punishment.
- Introduce and explain both theories and their disciplinary perspectives.
- Discuss how Rational Choice Theory and General Strain Theory can be applied to this question to explain downfalls (or successes) of deterrence efforts (threat of punishment).
- Actively compare and contrast the two theories and their explanations/arguments as to why punishments are effective/ineffective in deterring crime.
- Lastly, you are to provide an argument as to which theory provides a better understanding of this essay question and why (you may also argue in favour of both theories, but you MUST provide an argument as to WHY).
- ALL arguments must be supported by the literature/research (not your own opinion).
What we score:
Our Writer’s Comment
To successfully complete this coursework, it is important to start with a thorough understanding of the theories under examination. Rational Choice Theory and General Strain Theory should be introduced and explained in detail, including the assumptions and disciplinary perspectives of each theory. As the coursework requires a comparison and contrast of the two theories, it is essential to highlight the similarities and differences between them, and how they explain the decision-making process and the effectiveness of deterrence through punishment.
It is important to ensure that the arguments put forward in the essay are supported by a minimum of fifteen peer-reviewed journal articles. These articles should be carefully selected to provide strong evidence for each point made, and to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the theories and their application to the question at hand.
When discussing the concepts of deterrence and rationality, it is important to highlight the logic and downfalls of deterring crime through punishment. This requires a nuanced understanding of the potential psychological and sociological factors that influence criminal behaviour, and how deterrence measures may or may not be effective in changing behaviour.
Finally, when providing an argument for which theory provides a better understanding of the essay question, it is crucial to use the literature and research to support the argument. While it is possible to argue in favour of both theories, it is essential to provide a clear and well-supported rationale for why one theory is more effective than the other in this particular context.
Why are we trusted by Singaporean part-time students?
Unlike other model assignment writing services, we are true blue Singaporeans based in Changi Business Park. You can easily contact us and even visit us at our office to understand more about our famous 200% money-back guarantee.
Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with a sample model assignment for this piece. But, if you are looking for help with your own model assignment, you can take advantage of our writing services.